Dental Crowns Safeguard Teeth From Further Damage And Keep Them Looking Great
Tooth damage can occur at any time, either from accidents, gum disease, or decay. A dental crown restores the tooth's shape, strength, and appearance. If your dentist in Boston recommends a dental crown, here is what you need to know.
What Exactly Is A Dental Crown?
A dental crown is essentially a cover or cap placed over a damaged tooth. It is a long-term treatment that prevents further damage to your teeth. Dental crowns comprise porcelain, ceramic, zirconia, metal, or a combination of these materials.
Why Do I Need A Dental Crown?
Dental crowns are essential if you have:
- A cracked, broken, or misshapen tooth
- A cavity that's too large for a filling
- A severely discolored tooth
- A tooth previously treated with a root canal
What Type of Dental Crown Do I Need?
There are four main types of dental crowns that your dentist in Boston may recommend:
- A temporary crown, which protects your tooth while you wait for the permanent crown.
- A permanent crown, which is attached to your tooth using dental solid adhesive. With proper care, a permanent crown lasts between 5 and 15 years.
- A ¾ or onlay crown, a partial alternative if your tooth still has a solid structure.
- A one-day crown, which can be permanent or temporary. It is created using computer-aided design (CAD) at the dentist's office and installed on the same day.
How Do I Choose the Dental Crown Material?
Your dentist will consider your tooth's location, function, and color of the surrounding teeth. Porcelain and ceramic crowns are ideal for front and side teeth that show when you smile. Metal crowns are best for back teeth that are out of sight and expect greater wear and tear.
Schedule Your Dental Appointment Today
At Arch Street Dental Arch Street Dental , we provide high-quality, long-lasting dental crowns that restore your health and give you that confident smile that you deserve. Get in touch today.